note: I'm in the middle of a 2 day sneezing fit, so hopefully this is coherent....
I've been reading a lot online and watching a bit too much tv, but it might be safe to say that a lot of people feel that the VP pick is not being treated fairly. People are asking questions that aren't asked of men.
And they are right...questions ARE being asked that aren't normally asked of men in the same position.
When we are exposed to something that we've never experienced, no matter what, we have questions. 20 odd months ago, questions were asked about a certain candidate regarding his religion, his education, and the time he spent as a child overseas. As voters, we had a right to wonder and ask these questions.
And now, once again, we have someone new on the stage. We have new questions, just as we did 20 odd months ago. Some may find this sexist, but I don't. As a women who will one day have children, I want to know how she does it.
Not because I think having kids makes the job of VP impossible (it doesn't), but because I want to have kids. I want to go back to school to earn a masters. I want to work in public health, out in the community. I want to work with the NIH or CDC in conducting research. Like my communities in nursing professor, I want to be a state representative. I want my kids to have music lessons, be on the swim team, play soccer and little league baseball. I want to see their recitals, their swim meets, and their tournaments. I want to have dinner with my family at the table.
Will I need a nanny? Will my husband have to end or change his career? Will our parents have to live nearby to help raise our children? There is nothing wrong with any of these options-I just want to know if that's what it will take.
So when I ask, how does she do it? How is she going to do it? I'm asking because, like my friends who are parents and millions of other women in this country, I haven't figured out how to make it work.
No comments:
Post a Comment