The first half of the day, Maine was cold & damp. If it wasn't damp, it was all out raining. But we still found it enjoyable, despite the weather.
We first stopped at Pemaquid Point. One word: wet.
Then, off to Portland, but not without stopping for a most delicious lobster roll (very light on the mayo-yay!) in Wiscassett ,the prettiest little town (no really, it is pretty). If it wasn't so wet (we ate standing), I would have taken a picture of our lobster rolls, plus the stand where we ordered it.
We went into a few antique stores, but everything was, oh, $500-$5000 out of my price range. Personally, I find it more enjoyable to hunt for treasures at second hand shops.
On our way to Portland the sun FINALLY came out and we went to another light house (the Head Light). It was here that we quickly realized that Maine (and New England in general) has done amazing things with redevelopment and public parks. The park was free to enter, free to park, and very, very pretty.
Can you believe this photo was taken on the say day as that above video was taken??
That night we headed to Portland's downtown, which looks like Charleston, but with wide streets and a salty breeze (no horses). The vibe was very much of what you feel/see in Asheville, NC. They had a great independent bookstore, with many many other great stores. One memorable store was named "Condom Sense" and had a poster that I think should be in the halls of every high school and/or college in addition to every hospital, subway stop, bus stop, etc. I've tried to find a copy of the poster online, but it went something like this:
"See Dick with an erection" (two stick figures in bed, presumbly dick and friend, was illustrated)
"See Dick with no protection" (naked stick figure..don't worry, no parts!)
"See Dick with an infection" (stick figure Dick is in hospital bed with IVs hanging)
"Don't be a Dick"
Back to Maine...
For dinner, Ryan had his first lobster, where the older lady at the next table went all out to teach him how to eat different portions of the lobster (as in her hands were on his fish...but she really was a kind, sweet, older lady so Ryan found it excusable). Breakfast was delicious the following morning before we left and headed for Boston...
2 comments:
I love the picture of the lighthouse! That should be framed. I've never had a lobster roll, I can tell I'm missing out on that experience though.
I love your blogs about New England! I am from Boston and my husband is actually from Brunswick, ME which is about 10 minutes for Wiscasset!
Post a Comment