ARG! Does anyone else blubber into the phone when talking to an answering machine? For the past year I was the 'welcome' contact for our squadron and have probably left my fair share of funny messages on the voice mails and answering machines of spouses new to the group. What I always meant to say was this:
"Hi! This message is for NEW SPOUSE. My name is Rachel _ and I'm calling from the _squadron spouse group to welcome you to the new area. I wanted to let you know about the spouse webpage and spouse coffees, information about the base and area, etc. My phone number is__. Please call me when you get a chance so I can tell you about everything, or answer any of your questions."
Except usually the messages came out:
"Uh, HI! This message is for NEW SPOUSE and I'm calling from the Dover Welcome Spouse Group-I mean the _spouse squadron group, er, the _squadron spouse group. My phone number is __. I wanted to let you know about the squadron and spouse group, how to sign up for emails, get on the webpage, spouse groups, and just to see if you had any questions about the area. So, again, this is Rachel and I'm calling....."
You get the idea. That's just one of the reasons I passed on the torch of "welcome person."
Today I got the nerve to call one of my professors. I'm not sure why, but I tend to get nervous talking to professors over the phone. Naturally this isn't an every day occurrence, which may explain blubber mouth. Two weeks ago, I called one professor who is also my academic advisor. I stuttered my way through, and my sentences made no sense (but she still agreed to complete the endorsement form-score!).
Anyways, back to today: I need a second professor to complete an Endorsement Form on my behalf...she never returned my email, which I thought was odd, but then figured she might just be out of the office. Classes don't start until next week, I figured she might be back at her office, but no such luck. I left a message on her voicemail and already, I'm cringing. She's probably thinking that English isn't a first language...(more on that later). Fingers crossed she gets back to me!
1 comment:
I hate talking on the phone unless it's someone I know really well. I always sound like an idiot, so I feel your pain on the whole phone ordeal.
Post a Comment