There are multiple times for yesterday's race.
The time posted online says 26:12.
The time posted on the board at the race said 26:11.
I thought I saw 26:09 when I came through the finish.
My intent was to start my watch when I crossed over the starting point, but because this race wasn't super organized, I'm not sure if I started my watch at the right point (there was no "START" banner. Instead there was an orange cone with a sign that said "start" at the side of the road). At the end of the race, I thought I stopped my watch, but had looked down at it after turning in my tag/number and the watch was still running at 26:20. The race obviously didn't provide chips and I didn't start at the very front of the pack. So there's not telling what the true time is.
BUT. Holy crap, I ran a 5k @ 26:12 or 26:11! My first mile was at 8:20!!
The race was all up and down hills. It was one of the toughest courses I've ran for a 5k and I can't get over how much I've improved over the past few weeks. And I haven't even been working on speed!! Just distance/endurance....
Some things that may have helped with time:
1. the weather. it was high 60s and NO WIND. That's almost unheard of here in this area. Usually I'm running in 30-50 degree weather with winds ranging anywhere from 8-20mph gusts. (I hate the high wind gusts. but I'd rather run a long run outside in the wind than inside on a treadmill)
2. the hills. Yeah running up was a pain, but running down hill had to help a bit, I'm sure.
3. After mile 2, I was running near a person who apparently had a team of trainers throughout the course! Every 1/2 mile or so someone would be yell at her to step it up, to keep it steady, to pass the girl in the green shorts, etc.
There was a free beer at the end. Along with greasy pizza (I passed) and delicious warm pretzels. No water bottles though. Instead, there were two people pouring water into tiny cups. (seriously, what was up with that??)
A fun, good way to start off the 5k season. I can't wait to run some more!!!
Overall placement: 195 out of 650+ runners & walkersDivision placement: 10th out of 69
2 comments:
Congrats, that is an awesome time!!!
Congrats! Sounds like you did awesome. Oh..and I would have passed on the pizza too, after a hard run who wants pizza?
Post a Comment