Friday, November 12, 2010

Recovery & Splits

Who doesn't love negative splits on a run? This morning's five miler was a perfect example of 5 negative splits. It goes without saying that it was a good, strong run; I felt myself getting faster without trying, and by the last mile I just ran with it.

I can't exactly say the same thing for marathon weekend...But I'm still pretty happy with my overall performance (especially when compared to last year's marathon). My slowest mile was at mile 2 (battling crowds of walkers) and my last mile was faster than the first few miles.

The splits:

5K: 31:51
10K: 1:03:45
15K: 1:34:17
20K: 2:04:21
HALF: 2:11:09
25K: 2:33:57
30K: 3:04:57
35K: 3:35:54
40K: 4:07:41
Finish: 4:21:28

Not sure how-or why-I did so much better than last year. The last half was in April. In the meantime, there was mild surgery (x2!) and a move from cool, breezy Delaware to hot & humid Florida. Training started late, and when compared to other marathon runners, I certainly wasn't ready to even begin training (nor was I training enough). For some reason, I barely ever averaged 30 miles a week.

As for recovery....well, what recovery? Last year, I remember running 2 miles about a week after the marathon: a long and painful 20 minutes. This year, my first post race run was with the running club; a 5 miler that I ran without difficulty. At first I thought it was a fluke, but I ran 3+ with the Tuesday running group and then this morning's early solo 5 miler.

Going back to work on the Tuesday following the run was helpful. Nothing like walking the halls of hospital floor for 12 hours to stretch out the legs. Speaking of which...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The adjustment of moving from a large teaching hospital to a small, private, for profit hospital has been quite the challenge. More often than not, I come home in near tears. I didn't come home in tears last night, but I did leave 30 minutes late. And still, as I was laying in bed getting ready to fall asleep, I suddenly remembered two things that I forgot to complete before leaving work. It's got to get better.....

No comments: