Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Why?

Why do shoes always decide to fall apart in public? Or is this something that only happens to me?

First let's get one thing straight: I'm a pat rack. Can't throw anything away. Including shoes. Yes, I still have shoes from high school. Why? because they'll come back in style...and I'm sure that my future granddaughter will want to see the 3 inch wooden Candie clogs I used to wear in middle and high school.

Last winter, a pair of Born flat, black Mary Janes broke...the strap just detached from the rest of the sole (nothing that can't be fixed by a shoe repair man, so yes, I still have the shoes). Naturally, the strap of the shoe decided to tear away from the shoe in the parking garage at work in the MORNING. before the day even started. so, like a bum, I was forced to scotch tape the strap to my shoe.

Fast forward to the summer, miserably hot day, with a high of 98. After getting through with a doctor appointment on base, I was standing in line for the pharmacy...10 minutes later, I get close enough to read the sign that says, "Please have your Mil. ID & yellow card ready." damn-I'm always leaving the card in the cup holder of my car. No worries...I just get out of line (umph!) and walk out towards the parking lot. And that's the precise moment when the LEFT strap of flat semi-gladiator style sandal from high school decides to separate from the sole.

I re-attach...walk to car...get ID...begin walking back to building when, as I'm walking up the steps to get into the building, RIGHT sandal strap separates from sole of shoe.

"Are you freakin kidding me?!" The lady trying to get her four kids out of the mini van is having an easier time getting into the building. As I walk BACK to my car, the LEFT sandal strap pulls out from the sole (again), so I'm walking like a bum who can only afford to buy broken sandals from Salvi's or Goodwill.

I ended up driving to the BX and buying a pair of 99 cent shower sandals before returning to the pharmacy, but here's what I want to know:

1. Why didn't the sandals break apart in the numerous trips I had going up and down the stairs this morning?
2. Why didn't the sandals break apart when I was walking out the door this morning?
3. Why didn't the sandals break apart when I had to run back in the house this morning after I realized I forgot something?

The sandals had THREE prime opportunities to tell me, "This is it! It's the big one! I'm not going to make it" before croaking.

Moral of story: Shoes are like cars. No oil, but they need to be replaced, every 100 miles. :)

1 comment:

Mike said...

ha ha. Murphy's law.

Its like when the cable doesnt go out during the summer, when tv is in reruns. it goes out in december during the midseason finale of Lost. :)