My brother & his girlfriend picked me up in Ft. Lauderdale and he didn't flinch once when I asked him to drive along Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

So he flinched a little bit. Camera shy maybe?
We didn't get out to go anywhere in Ft. Lauderdale. something to do with my brother's wardrobe. Don't ask. Just be warned...if you're picking me up at the airport, be dressed to GO OUT!
17th St Causeway & A1A. I miss palm trees. and neon.
After the mini-road trip that night was a stop at Pollo Tropical for a Tropi Chop (or chop chop). Essentially black beans and rice (white) with chopped grilled chicken. You're supposed to eat them with plantains, which you order on the side, but mix with the rice, beans, and chicken. Except Pollo was out of plantains....which is like McDonald's being out of fries. Very disappointing, but the rice, beans and chicken were delicious.
Saturday morning I got my brother out of his place by 8:45am...unheard of for him. First stop? A nearby cuban restaurant for a cortadito...1/2 cuban coffee, 1/2 steamed milk. then a bagel (hehe, I hit both of my cultures). Then a trip to my old house and neighborhood plus a visit with my childhood friend Liz and her beautiful daughter Ella.
Afterwards my brother and I shopped for his place...then I met up with Traci!
That night was filled with good food, shopping, and Sex & the City. We started off at a favorite restaurant, where I had bistec empanizado (breaded steak) with moro (black beans and rice that are mixed in while cooking). Followed by dessert.
The best flan ever. I will have to try making this again...without spilling it on the floor...
Then it was off to Lincoln Rd on Miami Beach to see Sex & the City. Snapshots of the city...notice the pink sidewalks of Miami Beach. I was thinking of these pink sidewalks during my final exam on Friday afternoon....
The movie was hilarious. We laughed so much in those 2 1/2 hours! After the movie we walked Lincoln Rd which was just as I remembered it: young, old, gay, straight, English, Spanish, South American, all with their dogs.
Sunday we had breakfast at the News Cafe & walked along either Washington of Collins Ave...I forget which one. Then a trip to Merrick Park where we gawked at the art inside Neiman Marcus. I found a couple of Dolce & Gabbana dresses that I had to have. Then Dadeland...where I am still mad at myself for not getting the shoes I saw marked down to 80something.

More Miami Beach....I spy tourists, even if I played (and dressed) like one...
Finally, we met my brother & his girlfriend for dinner at a Miami staple. Versailles. No, not french food, but more cuban food. You've all seen this place on the news...the minute something happens in Cuba, the newscasters head to Versailles to interview the cubans who are sipping their coffee. This is a restaurant where you will see people dining in baseball caps and tee shirts next to people in tuxs & gowns, dressed to the nines.

I had arroz con pollo (chicken and rice...even though I make that a lot). and for dessert, Tres Leches. !que rico! then it was time for the cafecito at the window.
Un cafecito & dos cortaditos, por favor...
Then it was time for a photo shoot!
Then it was time for a photo shoot!












2 comments:
Awe I am so glad I got to see you and Mike! It has been way too long. I wish we could have spent more time together!
your trip home sounds really fun - awesome hometown :)
Post a Comment