A couple of weeks ago, Danica @ Chic Runner wrote a hilarious & detailed post about her ice baths.
When hubs was on his deployment this summer, I would also do my own version of an ice bath. Without the ice. I would sit in a tub of cold water. Not exactly an ice bath, but it was still super hard to sit in that water. When hubs came home last month and I did my first 20 miler, he 'surprised' me with a bag of ice.
Like Danica, I was already sitting in a bath of cold water when he poured the ice into the bath. Unlike Danica, I screamed and yelped so loudly that hubs tried to sush me as surely the neighbors would think something nefarious was happening. This has been happening for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Bath time is 15 minutes.
Yesterday I was on my own. the night before the run, I purchase and shoved 2 bags of ice into the freezer. Hubs didn't say anything about the TWO bags. He left early Sunday morning, I went about my run, came home, stretched, and started the bath. Sat in the bath.
Reached over the side for bag one. Poured it in and tried to not yelp. Then poured the second bag. Yelped and tried to control my breathing. tried to relax my legs. While trying to get all the ice out of the second bag, my sweatshirt got soaked in the bath. so much for trying to keep warm.
Now, usually after about 5 minutes of sitting in the ice bath, I can pick up my book and read a couple of pages. This ice bath was the coldest ice bath I've ever taken. I tried to keep wiggling my toes and moving my feet, but within minutes I noticed that my large left toe was turning a funny shade of purple/blue. After 9 or 10 minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. I stood up with pins and needles in my feet. My entire lower body was bright red and goose-bumped. took a very warm shower and warmed up.
Later, when telling hubs about the ice bath he said, "2 bags? I always pour in just one."
Ahhh! Thanks for the heads up babe! :)
1 comment:
ha ha ha, this is hilarious! Glad you did it, and 2 bags is really hard. ha ha. believe me. You are a beast though! I bet your bags are bigger than mine, that's why I have to do two because the 7-11 down the street sells like the smallest bags ever and i have to spend like 10 bucks on two bags. Am I bitter? no! :) ha ha good job!!!
Post a Comment