Good thing, as quite a few people got lost, including Caroline (who has run the course in the past), and a coach with three of her teenage-cross-country runners.
The run started at 1:00pm, which I thought was odd (my life revolves around eating), so I had a larger kind of breakfast of waffles & fruit. at the 12:45, my stomach started growling.
Weather was perfect, 70s and for the most part the course was shaded. We crossed water 3 times (although the third water crossing was more like walking in the river and not across.....). Towards the end of the run I really started getting hungry and may have made the comment, "I think next year I'll volunteer."
And that's when the trail-running-lords slammed me with my negative energy.
We only had maybe 1 mile left.
I was running, and I think the toe box of my left shoe landed on tree root because I remember yelling out in pain; it felt like my toes were being forced up to my shin. Yelled out enough that some running friends stopped to check if I was ok. walked a few steps and continued running again with no problem. no pain whatsoever.
The sloppy run had only just begun. a few minutes later I tripped and fell straight forward kissing dirt. Surprisingly, what hurt at that moment was my shoulder (I guess from my landing on my hands).
We probably finished a few minutes after the tumble.
Our finished time was somewhere around 1 hour 20 minutes (not bad considering we ran an extra loop on the course). My ankle felt ok, that is until an hour or so later when I squatted down to gather my stuff.
So now it's Tuesday. I've iced my ankle maybe 2-3 times a day since Sunday and yesterday I took my first dose of naproxen as well as wrapped my ankle in a bandage. There is no swelling, no bruising. I can move my toes and point my foot up an down. Rotating my foot is painful and doesn't happen very easily. I haven't tried squatting. I can walk, but not as if I was injury free. The front of my ankle is sore to touch with mild pressure.
I haven't called the doctor yet (since there is no swelling, no bruising). Sprain? Strain? How long to stay off running? I really don't want this to be a recurring thing...and I work Wed/thursday of this week (essentially 12 hours on my feet). Thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment