Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Moving Bed Rails

When moving, if you find extra unused bed rails in your house, don't take them.

I insisted on taking the set of bedrails I found in the attic space, and when the movers put our bed together, there was quite a few inches of rails extending beyond the end of the mattress (not to mention 4 unused rails sitting on the floor).

Naturally we took the bedrails apart and tried to use the other set of bedrails. Within minutes, both sets of bedrails were mixed and after an hour, we concluded there MUST have been a missing piece, so we threw out all of our bedrails.

And then I did another 'oh shit' thing. I ordered bedrails...I described the headboard/footboard to the mattress guy (this was all done over the phone). When asked if I wanted lo or hi profile rails, I measured how high off the ground the lowest & highest holes of the headboard (which are used for bolting the rails).

"Well, then you will need lo-profile rails."

Had I known at the time that a lo-profile bedrail would only lift my bed 4 1/2 inches off the ground, I wouldn't be writing about this.

The cat doesn't even fit under the bed.

No comments: