Friday, February 1, 2008

I Miss...

I'm feeling reminiscent right now....here are all the things I miss about Charleston (Modern Marie: take this list to school with you...and wait until you are 21 to hit the bars)

in no order at all....:

1. FRIENDS. Seriously...whether it was drinks on one of the Rooftops, runs in Ion, or twirling on a pole that twirled. Friends made Charleston rock.

2. Basil's Cashew Chicken

3. Basil's Pineapple Cake Martini.

4. Chai's...the place you would go to drink your Pineapple Cake Martini if Basil had a long wait.

5. Oddly enough, Red's Ice House. I miss the idea of being able to have a drink OUTSIDE and not freeze. I don't miss the fact that people brought their own coozies to the bar. Actually, that's an unfair call because I never knew people brought their own coozies to bars until I got friendly with my new neighbors, who apparantly spent a lot more time at Reds. With their own coozies. (sorry I think coozies are a bit on the redneck side)

6. Publix.

7. Whole Foods

8. The bars on Market. Whether it be Purple Tree (which oddly enough did not have any sort of purple trees inside) or Steves. Shoot. That's not the name. clearly the wine has gotten to my head. There is a bar on North Market (and in Mt. P) with a name....anyways. I miss going with friends.

9. Strangely enough, Tommy Condons where there was a 'band' that basically played the same songs every week. And yeah, the 'kid' is only '16.' If that 'kid' is '16', then I drink 3 glasses of milk a day, 1 glass of wine, 8 glassees of water, and eat 5 servings of veggies and 5 servings of fruit. every day. Don't kid yourself. The drinks and music is better than the food. Unless you're wearing shorts and the 'band' sees you. Cassidy, this one is for you.

10. The bridge. yeah, they think it's great...what's great is that you can walk the bridge every day, at any time. Just be sure not to wear shorts that can be blown upwards by the wind. Unless you like doing that sort of thing...

11. Being near a bookstore.

12. King Street. Even if I couldn't afford anything...in particular, Luna luna was my favorite (I thought copper penny was a bit too snooty).

13. The Whale of a Sale put on by the charleston Junior League. I won't tell you what I got, or for how much. Just know that it's worth waiting an hour or two to get in. And remember that the prices arent' set in stone...

14. Family Thrift on Rivers Ave. You might not want to tell your friends about this if they are a bit snooty. It's not in the best of neighborhoods...but yes, real Versace jeans can be found. Along with lots of clothing from Saks.

15. The charleston library sale. Again, worth going. be green and bring your own bag.

16. Did I mention food already?

Cassidy, Frances, Dawn....what am I missing???

1 comment:

Lauren said...

aww thanks so much for this list! charleston is the best city ever! i fell in love with it and vowed to myself that even if i dont go there for college i would live there! but fortunaley i AM going to live there next year! i am too anxious and excited! yea i might have to wait until im 21 to go to the bars (so in a little more than 3 years) haha! but thanks for all the resturaunt suggestions and shopping places. feel free to reminence more!

oh and i have a question, i love vintage and thrift stores, does chaleston have much of those?