NCLEX is stressing me out! It's a test that we take in order to become licensed as a registered nurse. The test is taken at a testing center on a computer. You answer one question, and if you get it right, the next question is slightly more difficult. If you answer it wrong, the next question is slightly easier. If your computer shuts down during the test, it can mean one of three things:
(1): you answered enough questions correctly to show that you are competent.
(2): you answered enough questions incorrectly to show that you are not competent.
(3): someone pulled the plug and the electricity is out. Just kidding. Hopefully this doesn't happen.
Your computer can shut off at 75 questions...meaning, "Congrats! you passed!" or "Ain't no way in hell you're going to pass." The maximum number of questions to answer is 265. I'm not sure if there's a percentage that you have to make in order to pass. If this information is available, I can't seem to find it.
For an optional assignment in one of my classes, I've been spending one hour each week answering NCLEX questions in the computer lab on campus. As my professor said, "It's ass time in the chair."
I've also been answering questions at home, about 10 a day.
And about once or twice a week, I try to complete two chapters in this gigantic NCLEX review book. These chapters are outlines that feature major points about more than you ever wanted to know about a given topic.
The problem is that I'm not seeing any sort of improvement. In the computer lab, my scores have ranged from 61% to 74%. Today I answered 180 questions from a CD rom and got a 66%.
My 10 a day questions have gotten better, but I think that's because the questions are easy (a few scores have been as low as 40%, but I have quite a few that are in the 70-80-90% and a handful at 100%).
Some questions I answer because I didn't carefully read the questions (which usually results in some serious ass kicking). Some questions I just don't know. A lot of those have to do with orthopedics (different types of tractions). I vaguely remember learning about those in med-surg, but there are only two things I remember:
1. there's something out there called Bucks Traction. I don't know anything beyond that.
2. the weights must remain off the floor
So obviously I know thati have to review some ortho. I'm kind of ok with pharm....there's definitely some reviewing that I need to complete. I haven't even tried to look at cardiac issues.
Anyways....I realize this post is more cathartic for me than juicy gossip for you. so here's something: I scored a job interview for an ED position at the small community hospital! Interview is next week. I better be feeling your good vibes!
1 comment:
i recommend the kaplan ( i think)nclex test taking book..its not a review book and its not very big but it helps you learn how to take the test itself...that's mainly what i reviewed and i got 75 questions and it shut off. i was freaked and thought i'd failed (everyone thinks they do, and so will you...its normal..must be a right of passage thing..to make you have heart palpatations until you absolutely know you passed.
Post a Comment