Today:
33 patients on the floor. each nurse has 5 patients. charge nurse has patients. one tech. (and this tech, I hate to say, would do better at another job, such as being a greeter at a store).
So assessing five patients. passing medications for 5 patients. sending one patient to a heart cath. trying to discharge a patient (at my hospital, the nurses type out the discharge paperwork....is this normal? because it wasn't done this way at my old hospital...), fixing amiodarone/cardizem drip for one patient, getting my cath lab patient settled, trying to find the medications for amiodarone/cardizem drip patient, still trying to discharge one patient. Run down to pharmacy (for the second time). check heart cath pt's groin. Stop amiodarone/cardizem drip. discharge patient. check groin of cath patient. change open heart surgery patient's dressing. oh shoot, q2 hour neuro checks on my ETOH/CVA patient. groin check. admission! Am I forgetting a patient?
These are the thoughts through my head at work (including the 'am I missing a patient' thought).
I didn't even mention that we (nurses) had to pass out meal trays and collect meal trays.
Teachable moments didn't take hold with some patients. my back is killing me. (no really...hurting; I feel like a misaligned tire rotation).
Home finally at 8:15pm, shower, dinner, comfort food snacks. it's 9:39pm.
Repeat tomorrow, bright and early, at 4:55am.
Maybe I should go into the profession of store greeter.
No comments:
Post a Comment