Just over a week ago I signed up for a race where you paid one price and could choose (at the last minute-or mile) your distance. 5k, 10k, half marathon. Since I haven't been seriously training or running any long distances, the half was out. But 5k or 10?
I decided, in the starting line, to make my travel time, early wake up time, and money worth-wile and ran the 10k. It was a perfect day (a tad chilly-hubs watched bundled up in a jacket with a steaming thermos full of coffee). The course was flat and in between the waterfront homes you could spy portions of the beach. For erroneous reasons, I psyched myself out before the race, seeing everyone who looked fast. who looked like serious runners.
Silly girl.
Along the route, my running club buddies mostly passed me one by one (I hate passing people in the beginning...hence the idea to 'pass no one.' I caught up to Jim, retired military sort (probably in his early 60s) who was running the half. Then, I thought I saw Scott (probably in his late 30s, early 40s), Harley rider, who always starts slow and speeds up. At the turn, yup..that was him. And he was probably a good 50 yards ahead of me. And either he slowed down or I sped up, because around mile 4 I ran right past him. Further along, I saw someone who from behind, looked like another running club member. Since I hadn't seen him pre-race, and I didn't know if it was him, I wasn't sure....but this is a guy that I normally use as my pacer. (On Thursdays I run behind him because he can hold a steady pace. He normally stops at mile 2 for a drink, and then catches up or passes me because I end up slowing down). At the 4.5 or 5 mile point, realizing that the end was near, my stride lengthened and I continued to gain speed, passing him.
And then, I wondered, where is everyone? There were only walkers...easy to pass. And then, with the finish line in sight, I saw a female, who I thought was mid 30s. Trying to catch up, I didn't think I would catch her. Hubs, drinking warm coffee on the 'sideline' yelled for me to catch her. I tried and tried. People were saying, "come on ladies!"
and I thought...oh man...this lady has no idea I'm behind her (we were the only two in the finishing area). And somehow, I managed to pass her, too, with my final minute-per-mile pace being 7:5something. (!)
So here's the question...is it tacky to overtake someone at the last second like that? Reviewing the finisher results, I realized I placed 1st(!) in my age category, and I thought ruefully, Did I bump her into 2nd? "No...she was in her 50s" said hubs.
I never looked at her name and later, when chatting with some club members, I saw Carolyn. Carolyn was one of the ladies, in her 50s, who I ran with on sundays when training for the marathon. Carolyn is a very strong, serious, and fast runner. One of my running idols. Somebody asked my time.
Me: Oh, 51:53 I think?
Carolyn: WHAT?
Me: I think it was 51:53...or maybe 52:53?
Hubs: It was 51:53
Carolyn: YOU'RE THE ONE WHO PASSED ME!
We had a great laugh about it. She recalled how people were yelling, "come on girls" and how all she could do was concentrate on breathing.
It was a 'you had to be there' moment appreciate the fun; But in all seriousness....does anyone ever feel guilty about over taking a runner at the last second?
1 comment:
Way to go, speedy!
I like negative splitting and passing people in the end, too. It is such a confidence booster!!
Post a Comment