Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Home Shopping

Saturday:

We are no longer the Beverly Hillbillies, but Gypsies. I came across some jewelry that I threw into my suitcase, and now use them to dress up.

House shopping....

One house has a fence literally all around it because the neighbors homes & yards belong in a trailer park. We don't even walk into the house.

House number 1: In the same neighborhood as the above house. I'm nervous. We arrive at the house, only to see a MONSTER TRUCK in the front yard. OK, not yard, but driveway. The car is obviously used, as it's blocking in the mini-van that is also parked in the driveway. The family that lives in the home walks out of the home and I watch in awe as the father lift his two daughters into the truck (no steps into the truck). The house isn't so bad actually. Except we see that the backyard butts up against railroad tracks.
The house is a tiny, but cute...Cape style. Downstairs is great. open, airy, lots of windows. We walk up stairs. ha..the entire second floor is basically the attic, and all of the walls/ceilings are sloping. The master bedroom has no bathroom, and while there is enough space for our furniture, you can't put the mirror on the dresser because of the sloping ceilings. The only full bathroom in the house (possibly the only bathroom in the house...I don't remember if there was a 1/2 bath downstairs) HAS a mirror on the wall at the vanity. Except I would have to get on my knees to look at my face. Plus the railroad tracks. House is definitely out.

House #2: 100+ year old Victorian home, complete with National Historic Register for a BARGAIN, especially if you're handy. Checkerboard floor in the foyer, hardwood floors everywhere else, claw foot tub/shower, you get the idea. The second bath has a hole in the shower wall, some of the stair cases are so small and narrow that breaking an ankle or back is a definite, AND you have to check the foundation once a year and reapply some sort of home-made mortar-like cement. In other words, the house is literally sinking in a money pit.

I don't remember the other houses, but there were two we liked, until we realized that one sat on the railroad tracks (same tracks from house number 1) and one house faced a highway.

Base housing isn't an option (15 month waiting list...seriously this is just like South Carolina), and Middletown is obviously waaay too expensive for what we're looking for. We decided to start looking south....

On Monday we looked at about 10 homes in a large development that is out in the middle of nowhere. The nearest grocery store is a 15 minute drive. I'm not even sure if the newspaper can be delivered that far out. We finally found a house, put in an offer, it was countered, but we still accepted.

And naturally, last night I freaked.

Buyer's Remorse and we haven't even closed on the house.

No comments: