Monday, June 25, 2007

Weekend Update

Past three weekends have been jam packed traveling.

June 8-10: Charleston, SC
Yes, I did the unthinkable. I visited Charleston. But really, it was for the friends :) Got into CHS from Philly around noonish. Cassidy and I had some lunch & an afternoon at the pool before meeting Frances downtown for some martini's at Chai's & a very un-Delaware dinner at Basil. Is there anything better than a pineapple cake martini? No...not when you come from Delaware. Saturday was a wedding and that night was spent drinking lots of wine.

One thing we learned that weekend? When the cork of the wine bottle is turning with the corkscrew, rest assured the wine bottle won't open. What to do? Take a knife and just stab the cork into the bottle. Yes the wine is now corked, but since some wine companies are moving more towards the fake corks, taste is not compromised. Just be forewarned that when you open the bottle this way, lots of wine will spurt OUT of the bottle...

June 16-18: NYC
My first experience with Amtrak. I mistakenly thought railroad travel was similar to air travel, complete with "arrive two hours prior to departure." NOT. I got to the train station at 6am. The homeless were still asleep on the front steps of the station. After getting my ticket, I went upstairs, and shamefully quickly came back downstairs when I realized the 'ticketed people only' section was outside, where people literally board the train.

When the train finally boards, I have ID & Ticket ready....foolish again, since nobody was checking tickets or IDs at boarding. After the train gets going, I snuggle up with Vanity Fair, and a man in a Amtrak uniform comes up to me and says nothing. Just looking at me. "Yes?" I say...DUH-he's asking for a ticket. I felt like Little Lulu in the episode where she loses her train ticket and has to jump cars avoiding the conductor. Who knew train travel was so old-school?

I have pictures from the NYC trip with my parents, but have yet to transfer them to the pc & thumdrive (should have internet service in our new place on Friday).

June 23-24: Philly & NJ
Wake up at 5:30am & leave Dover at 6:30 to see Ryan's cousin compete in a triathlon in Philly's Fairmont Park.

1:30pm Saturday: arrive in Ocean City, NY & spend the weekend at Ryan's Aunt & Uncle's shore house. Up here you don't go to the beach...you go to the shore.

Much fun...pictures will be up sometime this week. Keep you fingers crossed that tomorrow's closing goes smoothly. Tuesday/Wednesday will be spent moving our own things from the condo/apartment to the new place. HOPEFULLY our household goods will be safely delivered, all in one piece on the 3rd. Let's hope I have one full piano and not two 1/2 pieces.

No comments: