Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Jobs Baby Jobs!

With graduation rapidly approaching, it’s time to start looking for jobs. This I can’t believe. Was it really just a year that I started my Pathophysiology and research classes? Did I really start-and survive-that hellish spring semester? Are there really no more labs?!

And even harder to believe: I only need to take three more classes to graduate! We’re going to take them over a “5 week session” that will really last about 8 weeks since we actually begin the classes between fall semester and winter session.

THREE more classes?? Wait. That means…GRADUATION?!

But oh no…if graduation is around the corner….that means NCLEX is pretty darn close. And oh yeah…how about a job?!

So, the million dollar question is: What kind of nurse do I want to be?

There is always med/surg nursing. A LOT of people (all of our guest speakers) believes, “You MUST do a year of med/surg before moving on to a specialty. This is where you gain your confidence and basic skills.” Med/surg wouldn’t be the end all-be all, but it’s certainly not a dream. There are three aspects of nursing that have captured my interest: pediatrics, hematology/oncology, and emergency.

There is no particular order of which I like best, and I would love to combine peds with hematology/oncology or emergency.

Unfortunately, the local children’s hospital hired two new graduate nurses last year. I think someone needs to die in order for a spot to open. Not that it’s going to stop me from trying to get a job there.

The local cancer center wants experience and oncology certification.

The emergency departments want experience and certifications. BUT…there is something called an internship program, where, “…Yes, we can take YOU and CAN become an ED nurse in ONLY 6 months!”

The program has a 6 month orientation program and following the orientation, you are required to commit 20 or 24 months to the hospital’s ED. I think I’m going to try and apply for the program. Downside: I have NO hospital experience outside of clinical. Our program is so fast paced and compact that there really isn’t time for externships or working.
The worst that they can say is, “HA! Who does she think she is? Let’s throw the application in the NO WAY pile!”

Tonight I’m attending a job fair/open house at a small, private community hospital in a rural area out of state (it’s only 25 minutes away). I definitely would rather work at a larger teaching hospital, but if this is where the jobs are at, I’ll take it!

Where’s that crystal ball when you need it?

1 comment:

stacy said...

i disagree w/ having to med/surg first. i didnt, i know plenty of people that didnt. Would it help if you dont know what you want to do?--it can...if you have something at the end of school like and internship that's where you hopefully can see/work a specialty to see if its for you. I recommend contacting nurse managers from units you're interested in and asking to shadow a nurse for a few hours..that might help. As for the hospital choice. i'd honesly start at a bigger teaching hospital. you always have doctors( interns/residents) around so you dont feel helpless in urgent situations...