Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Division

Lately, I've noticed more than ever the effects of getting older. The canyon developing between my eyes, the dark clouds under the eyes, a wider set of hips, dimples on the bottom cheeks.

People always warned me about getting older (watch what you eat, it sticks!), especially patients. The patients never failed to sugar coat aging: "It's no fun getting older."

But nobody ever told me about the division that would come with getting older (age) and children; or should I say being child-less.

And if you're a military spouse reading this, you probably have already noticed this little unscientific factoid: it is rare to meet a 30 year old child-less couple in the military. I like kids. They are painfully honest and incredibly entertaining. But for personal, educational, and medical reasons, we haven't had kids yet (although hopefully maybe one day soon!)

Anyhoo-In an effort to expand my tiny circle of friends here in this new hometown, I was invited (by a friend who has kids) to a book club dinner. It was a good time, and I enjoyed the social aspect of it (although lets be honest: I can't contribute to a discussion on the merits of one car seat over another). I was included in their plan to meet up for trivia night as part of their Mom's Night Out. I gave them my email address, and most of the girls immediately friended me on facebook. I considered it a success.

Last night, I get home from work, shower, eat dinner, eventually get to the computer, and see on facebook that I'm part of a private group, 'bookclub' where there's a post saying:

"Made a group so we can have our book info here and that way Rachel can join and not have to see all the mommy stuff from our other group. Did I forget anyone?"

And I think.....it's nice. Except...you've made it known that there's a group out there that everyone except me is a part of.

I should respond. But I cant figure out what to say. To say something funny would come across mean or acerbic; And to ignore it would seem snooty.

Every time I read that line I feel this little black hole or better yet, a big fat black line.

I understand it probably wasn't the author's intent (and there will always be groups out there that you can't be a part of), but it was just made crystal clear that when people get together, those who have children vs those who have no children is taken into account of invitation.

But enough mulling; Time to change into some running clothes and meet up with the road hogs for a 5 miler followed by greasy pizza and pizza. Take that Dividers!


1 comment:

d.a.r. said...

Yup, gotta love the elusive mommy club. I know it's not malicious, but it still hurts to be snubbed. Enjoy your running group :)